Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Facebook: Are we infiltrating?

Our week's activity for our Web 2.0 course was to look at Facebook and make a comment on it on our blog. I've been on Facebook for a while now and have the following experience.

When I joined Facebook, it was for very practical reasons as there was a particular site I needed to look at. Once in however, I found my cousin (who is 17) had an account. I asked her to be a friend. She responded with: "Hi, I guess anyone can get a Facebook account. Please don't show my parents my photos."

Obviously she saw this as an infringement of her personal space and thought I was far too old to be doing the Facebook thing! I did promise her not to share her photos of partying--the typical snaps of a university student. But my question is: are we infiltrating where we're not wanted?

Using Facebook as a marketing tool may be a bit too aggressive if we want to get into everyone's faces. However, there may be a few ideas on being more subtle and there is people really want to talk to us. Stephen Abrams had some good suggestions on his blog this morning. Check it out at:

http://stephenslighthouse.sirsidynix.com/

He's talking about the Bivings Report on today's blog item.

Well, I'm still sitting on the fence with this one. What's your opinion? Send me comments

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

I agree, I think it’s easy to transgress on students’ turf by looking at Facebook as purely a marketing tool. I see no problem with creating banner ads, or joining groups (such as the 24/7 library group that Jeff and Amanda have commented in). As for the situation you describe with your young cousin, well, Facebook does allow users to select the option of showing certain friends a “limited profile”, so incriminating photos could be easily hidden by adjusting the privacy options.

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home