Sunday, April 29, 2007

Catching Up on Web 2.0

Thanks for the nudge, Alex.

My experience with wikis to date has been mixed. I find these really essential with keeping departments up to date. My case is point is my ILDS procedures wiki. I have uploaded as many of the written procedures I have for this specific department and then passed it onto the staff. They can then edit and add new procedures to their heart's content. No more binders of un-updated procedures. Neat and tidy.

I've developed a preference for pbwiki as it appears to be the most streamlined to set up. Limited choices in setup and development allows me more time to focus on content. You can get lost in the setup details in something like wetpaint. My 2 cents worth any ways.

Now about RSS feeds: I had set up my account a few years ago and didnt' see the great use in the few feeders at that time. In the last several months, I got an exported file of library related feeds from a colleague and now I get it! Lots of new ideas floating around out there.

What I find most difficult is the time factor however. I really limit myself to browsing for only 15-20 minutes a day as otherwise I could spend most of my day on my feeds. I've also streamlined what feeds I look at daily. Now I wonder what I'm possibly missing. Sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home